Tuesday, June 5, 2012

'n-Jas-Wat-Netjies-Pas

If you just read the title and you're thinking; what the hell is that gibberish, here's a rough translation: a Jacket (or coat) that fits nicely.
Go check out the Facebook group here for a little description of this project.

Meet Juan Venter.





I met up with Juan (the guy behind this) last week to take a few photos. I had a much bigger idea behind the photos, but due to the overwhelming response of people interested just within our community I couldn't carry it out as planned, so I decided to just take a few photos as he explained his reasoning behind this idea.

It started out with his mom buying some jackets and coats and fixing them up and selling them for a few bucks, to make a little extra money. He then followed suit, but instead of stopping there he went a little further and thought, why not help someone out?

I was like, man that's pretty rad. He told me he didn't like how for example; people sometimes gives this person on the street their old rags which are barely any better than the ones they are wearing and what did this person giving it think of the one receiving its worth? And I get that! Do we think that's what they deserve?

So out of these questions I suppose came the idea of giving back to those who have nothing. Not with money or scraps of food, but with conversation and a nice warm jacket for those cold winter nights.
The project is only two months old, so it's still in its infancy, but I believe it has the potential to grow into something much bigger if the right people get involved and by doing a little post on this, I hope I am contributing to this in some small way.

So get in touch with Juan through the group or through 3rd place.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment