Friday, June 29, 2012

Bands: BEAST

Like I promised, here is my post on "Beast". Hailing from Cape Town they traveled up north to Johannesburg and Pretoria last weekend to come and surprise us and man; did they ever. They're still relatively new to the music scene as far as I know, comprising of members from, Taxi Violence, The Plastics and Lark. All pretty well known bands in our small country on the Southern tip of Africa. The latter (Lark) is probably the most well known.

I am ashamed to admit that to this day I haven't seen Lark live (yet) and I hope to rectify this as soon as possible.

Back to Saturday's show at Arcade Empire though! I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the "four-nippled rock and roll aberration" called "Beast". My first thought as they walked onto stage and started playing was; "two bassists and no guitar"? This should be interesting. And man, was it!?

From the first song I was pretty damn sure that something special was on the horizon! Inge Beckmann knows a thing or two about being a "frontman" (woman). She can sing! I know this from hearing Lark stuff, but damn does it sound good with some rock and roll in the mix and it doesn't hurt that she's probably one of the hottest woman in music and did I mention she's in a rock and roll band? That's pretty sexy in my opinion.

I haven't seen so much energy during a live show in a while and I dig the drummer's (Sasha Righini) playing a helluva lot, (being a drummer myself). Taxi Violence has always been a rad act to watch and they're guitarist and bassist (edit: drummer and guitarist) or in this case bassist (Louis Nel) and bassist (Ryan Zietsman) rocked the shit out of their guitars.

In my humble opinion? This is the next big thing coming out of South Africa in terms of music, catch it live as soon as you can!

Thanks for reading














No comments:

Post a Comment